Hypothetical question time: game music - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2153 Views )

Korigama
64th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 04:55post reply

Feeling bored, so I thought I'd ask.

If by some chance you were to direct a game of your own, who would you appoint to handle the music?

I suppose I'd say...

cinematic: Yoko Kanno
in-game: Yuzo Koshiro

Replies:

Red Falcon
5496th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 04:59post reply

Akiya Yamaoka.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Sklathill
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 05:03post reply

Me, of course! >D

Wanted to go dream team, I'd totally get Tan Dun and/or John Adams and/or Media Ventures folks to rock the proverbial casbah.

The Temptation of Wheat is upon us!
---
www.insertcredit.com

Juan
4184th Post

"Re(1):PIRAMIDE" , posted Fri 24 Jun 05:15:post reply

Depends on the type and style of the game.

If it was an rpg
I would make an odd combination of Motoi Sakuraba and Jesper Kyd. to make an epic version of minesweeper or solitaire.

Edit: then Fuchi would download my games and pirate them. hey kid im a computer!

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 24 Jun 05:23]

exodus
2788th Post

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 06:17:post reply

quote:
Akiya Yamaoka.

akira

and he's a really cool guy, but has bad breath. Honestly though, I'd probably also choose him.

[edit]
stop all the downloadin'

[this message was edited by exodus on Fri 24 Jun 06:18]

Red Falcon
5498th Post

"Re(3):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 06:24:post reply

quote:
akira

I meant Akira, typo. >_<

I can't remember his name right now, but the Winds of Thunder guy, too. No, it isn't Yuzo Koshiro (although he's also good, if only he could tap in to the talent of his Ys days again!)

Edit: PROOFREADING ROCKS! Maybe he had been eating something stinky recently.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Fri 24 Jun 06:25]

Falikors
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 06:39post reply

Yoko Shimomura, Daisuke Ishiwatari, Brian May

A Sweet adventure game with mad ass harmonies!

メガ秘密攻撃#48:
牛インストールする!

HAYATO
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 06:56post reply

I'd probably go for Motoi Sakuraba. Nothing has been the same for me after I heard his work for Valkyrie Pofile...

Mog
378th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 08:19post reply

Naoki Maeda if it was a shooter. For anything else... Yasunori Mitsuda or Yuzo Koshiro depending on the game.

Rid
6697th Post

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 10:15:post reply

The girl that worked in Space Channel 5 and Nights into Dreams, can't remember her name now.

For the main theme: David Bowie.

majoria's news

[this message was edited by Rid on Fri 24 Jun 10:55]

JLG
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 12:56post reply

Akira Yamaoka for anything. He could do the sound, too.

Has Yoko Kanno done scores for games? She'd be my other choice anyway.

But to name some others:

I liked some tracks from the soundtrack to ICO by Michiru Oshima. If I needed a subdued, ambient score I'd choose her.

And if I could choose from movie composers, it'd be Jon Brion (who has been doing great stuff lately) or Michael Nyman.

aderack
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 13:47:post reply

quote:
Has Yoko Kanno done scores for games? She'd be my other choice anyway.

Several. Check out Napple Tale on the Dreamcast. Not even for the music; just check it out. The music sure helps, though.

I choose Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich!

[this message was edited by aderack on Fri 24 Jun 13:48]

exodus
2792th Post

"Re(3):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 15:07:post reply

quote:
Several. Check out Napple Tale on the Dreamcast.

she also did Uncharted Waters II for PC, and I'm guessing will do the score for koei's mmo pirate game??

and falcon: I know you knew, just giving you a hard time. HAH!

[edit] he hadn't been eating anything stinky - he just smokes way too much!

[this message was edited by exodus on Fri 24 Jun 15:08]

aderack
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 17:11post reply

quote:
she also did Uncharted Waters II for PC, and I'm guessing will do the score for koei's mmo pirate game??

Yeah. She also did a bunch of things for the Saturn; I'm not really the person to ask about those.

Time Mage
2184th Post

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 18:22post reply

Hitoshi Sakimoto for the background or ambiental tracks, Yasunori Mitsuda for the more prominent ones.

Gojira
1760th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Fri 24 Jun 19:02post reply

It really depends on what I'm doing. If it's not dark enough for Michiru Yamane or bright enough for Masashi Hamauzu I'd go with Sakimoto or Sakuraba, or (doubt if this person'd do it, but) Jo Hisashi.

Toxico
4075th Post

"Re(3):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Sat 25 Jun 06:49post reply

I would try to get one of the earliest capcom sound teams, I think that they where called alpha lyra or something like that (They did Rock man SNES music, cadillacs and dinosaurs and m.a.n.y. other music for capcom games).

That or the guy that does Final Fantasy music; I can't recall the name and I *think* that it has been always the same.

And by the way, I wouldn't use mp3 - cd quality audio, I'll use nes - snes - midi quality audio, I'm just the nostalgic kind of guy.

See??? He is a God...

celebrityfest
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Sat 25 Jun 08:29post reply

Sup korigama its me from wizards. I still have that KOF dreammatch game if you still want it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/celebrityfest/stand1.bmp [Image Attached]

Korigama
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Mon 27 Jun 03:01post reply

I thought that might've been you. I probably wouldn't be able to get it anytime soon, though. Do you still post on SRK's midwest board by any chance? I've looked every once in a while, but I haven't posted there lately (I spend more time on other sections these days).

Burning Ranger
1227th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Tue 28 Jun 06:45post reply

quote:
Feeling bored, so I thought I'd ask.

If by some chance you were to direct a game of your own, who would you appoint to handle the music?

It would have to depend on the game... since I love fast music for racing games, I'd probably just pick currently existing songs like how Sega Touring Car was done(I think Alice Deejay's "The Lonely One" would be a great song to race to). As a second choice, I'd pick Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and the rest of B-Univ for racing music.

If it was a dramatic action game, I'd want a dramatic composer like, say Henry Gregg Williamson (did I get this right? He worked on MGS2 and MGS3 as well as flicks like The Rock).

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

Korigama
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Tue 28 Jun 14:11post reply

quote:
If it was a dramatic action game, I'd want a dramatic composer like, say Henry Gregg Williamson (did I get this right? He worked on MGS2 and MGS3 as well as flicks like The Rock).

Harry Gregson-Williams, but close enough I'd say.

I guess I'll use this post as an excuse to elaborate on what type of game it would be in my case: more or less, an evolution of the beat'em-up, having much in common with the likes of Devil May Cry and 2D fighters in terms of gameplay, only set in 3D, with a pseudo-3D fighter as a bonus mode to accompany the story-driven single player campaign (by bonus pseudo-3D fighter, I mean 3D graphics, but plays like a 2D fighter).

More or less, picture a near future setting, thematically best described as a blend resulting from influences such as Streets of Rage, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, KoF, Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Sounds like a lot? Yeah, I know...

shindekudasai
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Hypothetical question time: game music" , posted Tue 28 Jun 16:35post reply

I would gather an all-star cast of Thomas Newman, Yasunori Mitsuda, Sasha and John Digweed.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel