3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld Talk - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5084 Views )

Burning Ranger
1748th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld Talk" , posted Sun 3 Nov 01:31post reply

Hello everyone! How are you? Thank you!

I just purchased a 3DS XL after Best Buy and Amazon discounted them by $30. I also bought New Super Mario Bros 2 since I liked the 1st NSMB. I'd been wanting an XL for a while now but have been holding back because of cost and because of any real compelling software that interested me. But now, I guess I'm ready for the new Zelda and (eventually) Smash Bros.

One thing I want to mention is that the last handheld I purchased was an original DS Lite nearly 7 years ago--unless you count the iPad 2. Also, along those lines, the last handheld games I played were Final Fantasy on my iPad, a few other iPad games, and a Tiger LCD version of Megaman 2. I can't remember when it happened, but for the last few years, I've just preferred games on the big screen, meaning I've neglected my PSP and NDS. Also, I've held the belief that unless they are 1st party games, portable games tend to suck.

So, all this being said, can anyone recommend some really awesome, worthwhile games for the 3DS? Or am I doomed to to just play the 3DS for a little while then abandon it for my good old TV computer games?

So much to do so little time...

Replies:

karasu99
1239th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Sun 3 Nov 02:42post reply

quote:

So, all this being said, can anyone recommend some really awesome, worthwhile games for the 3DS? Or am I doomed to to just play the 3DS for a little while then abandon it for my good old TV computer games?

Thanks for pointing out that the 3DS XL is on sale-- my wife has been thinking of getting one for ages, so now may be the time.

There's a lot of great stuff out there for the system, and I've gone through a lot of games for it, so I'll just suggest a huge mountain of stuff (also since I don't know your taste).

I've enjoyed Code of Princess, which is great if you like Guardian Heroes. For RPGs, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV are absolutely essential. If you have to pick one of these, I'd say go for Fire Emblem. It's the best tactical RPG I've probably ever played. Also good RPG wise is Crimson Shroud. It's download only in the US, and a good cheap take on tabletop RPGs. I've not played it, but just about everyone I know with a 3DS has been playing Pokemon X/Y, so... well, yeah.

That should probably get you started! Oh, also: I think in addition to NSM2 you should consider Super Mario 3D Land. It's still really fresh despite being a very early game for the system.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3568th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Sun 3 Nov 06:37post reply

It's hardly worth posting, since all of my recommendations are the same as Karasu's, but I'll say a few things.

-Super Mario 3D Landis fantastic in my eyes and a hugely successful attempt at recreating the feel of classic Mario games in 3D. I was initially turned off by what I considered weak artistry compared to Mario Galaxy, but the creativity in level design charmed me in the end.

I would take my opinion with a grain of salt, however, because I really hate NSMB. I'va had fun playing multiplayer on the console version, but otherwise I think the series is just awful. So, my impression of a great Mario game might be different than yours.

-Code of Princess is good if you want a beat 'em up with a neat cast, character customization, a strangely large amount of plot and SHORT LEVELS. The levels are numerous, but they are tiny tiny tiny. This could be a plus if you like short bursts of gameplay, but it kind of ruins the multiplayer experience for me and doesn't encourage me to go back and play it. I had fun with the time I spent with it, though.

-Fire Emblem is totally great. No caveats. Crimson Shroud is worth the fairly limited money and time. It's a novelty, but it works fairly well.

-Project X Zone is about as fun as it looks, but I still insist that the writing is awful. If the game system looks fun to you and you're interested in seeing all the fantastic spritework, I recommend it.

-Kid Icarus has a...unique control scheme that makes it a barrier to entry for some players and a deal breaker for others, but it's an ambitious production that gives you lots to do and lots to "grow" with in terms of perfecting your game. It's not going to click with everyone, but I still recommend it. Also, the soundtrack must be heard.

-Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing are both outstanding examples of their representative series. If you've ever liked either of them, you'll be satisfied, if not delighted by these versions.

-A lot of people are crazy about Theatrhythm, but I found it to be a lazy, uninspired effort. It does work as a good vehicle to listen to old Final Fantasy tunes in their original form if that's what you like, though.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

chazumaru
1091th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Mon 4 Nov 17:55:post reply

I assume you have an American model so I will not recommend JP/EU exclusives.
And since I am not sure of your tastes, it depends what you want in a 3DS game. Some games cross-over different categories; that might help you in your priorities. I did not include NSMB2 since you already bought it.

If you want a game showing off the 3D really well:
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Bravely Default (coming in early 2014 in the US)
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pushmo (eShop only)
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (eShop only)
in general avoid most early games from around launch...

If you want a graphically impressive game:
Resident Evil: Revelations (now also available on Wii U / PS3 / 360)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (amazing animations, like a Pixar movie)
Mario Kart 7 (when you consider it's 60FPS even in full 3D)

If you want a long and rich playthrough, bang for your buck:
Animal Crossing New leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3D
Theathrythm Final Fantasy
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Soul Hackers
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
Etrian Odyssey IV
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pokemon X/Y
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

If you have other 3DS players nearby:
Any of the StreetPass games, especially the 4 DLC games
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing New leaf
Pokemon X/Y

If you want to play online:
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon X/Y
Animal Crossing New leaf
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (community might be dead by now...)

If you want an experience requiring precise button inputs (i.e. not possible on iPad):
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations (now also available on Wii U / PS3 / 360)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
SteamWorld Dig (eShop only)
Shinobi 3D
Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (soon available on PS3 / 360)

If you prefer something that does not rely too much on precision:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Pokemon X/Y
Etrian Odyssey IV
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (decent Fire Emblem clone with army bros)
Pushmo (eShop only)
Style Savvy: Trendsetters
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (much better to have played "9/9/9" before.)

If you want challenge:
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem Awakening (in normal/hard mode)
Etrian Odyssey IV
Soul Hackers
Shinobi 3D

If you think a Nintendo console is all about good platforming:
Super Mario 3D Land
SteamWorld Dig (eShop only)
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (RPG that also has some platforming elements)

If you want a rather relaxing game:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Pilotwings Resort
Pushmo (eShop only)
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone
Style Savvy: Trendsetters
Art of Balance Touch! (eShop only)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

If you are an oldschool Final Fantasy fan:

ギンザ ♪

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 4 Nov 19:35]

Burning Ranger
1749th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Mon 4 Nov 22:32post reply

quote:
I assume you have an American model so I will not recommend JP/EU exclusives.
And since I am not sure of your tastes, it depends what you want in a 3DS game. Some games cross-over different categories; that might help you in your priorities. I did not include NSMB2 since you already bought it.

This is an excellent list. Thank you! Question about Resident Evil Revelations: Is there any incentive to get the 3DS version over the console versions? I guess there's something to be said about taking survival horror with you, but then again, I prefer big screen console gaming.

quote:

Project X Zone is about as fun as it looks, but I still insist that the writing is awful. If the game system looks fun to you and you're interested in seeing all the fantastic spritework, I recommend it.

So do any characters from Burning Rangers or the "Hornet" appear in ProjectXZone? If they were, it may motivate me to get the game...

So much to do so little time...

chazumaru
1092th Post

"Re(5):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Tue 5 Nov 00:14:post reply

quote:
Is there any incentive to get the 3DS version over the console versions?

Not really, to be honest. Even if you entertain the flexibility of playing while watching something else on the TV, you can get the Wii U version instead. The only five arguments I can find for the 3DS version are:

1. You can bring it anywhere with you.

2. It's in 3D (and quite possibly the best looking game on the device).

3. The level design and overall rhythm are intended for the resources of 3DS (i.e. less enemies, smaller environments, smaller maps) so it might be a better game for a nomad experience rather than a home experience.

4. It's one of the few good games that get even better with the Circle Pad Pro, if you are looking for good reasons to buy the Circle Pad Pro, which means you plan to play Monster Hunter a lot. Unfortunately, what this also implies is that the game is better played with a controller or gamepad.

5. It might be cheaper (ex. in Europe right now there is a -40% sale on the eShop version).

One game which I did not include up there and is exclusive to 3DS is Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, which got released early in the 3DS life and received pretty harsh reviews (it's only the usual mercenary mode singled out as its own game) but has actually grown a little community of devoted fans. If you think of it as an arcade/score attack game in the setting of the Resident Evil series, rather than a full Resident Evil experience, it's actually not bad at all and fits the confined entertainment you might expect from playing 3DS in the tube/train for a few minutes.

quote:
So do any characters from Burning Rangers or the "Hornet" appear in ProjectXZone? If they were, it may motivate me to get the game...

These two franchises are not represented in the game. You can see which characters appear here.

ギンザ ♪

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 5 Nov 00:15]

Gojira
2988th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(6):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Tue 5 Nov 04:20post reply

I truly can't recommend any more than Chaz has here, but to expand a little on the Streetpass thing, you don't necessarily have to be near lots of people to use it now. Early on that was the case, but now if you can find Nintendo Zone places nearby and carry your sleeping 3DS near there, it will relay the Streetpass IDs of people who also passed by, so there's no need to be in the same place at the same time as anyone. You can use this site to search for them in your area.

simonbelmont
155th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Wed 6 Nov 06:38post reply

Great list of 3DS games. The only game I would add is Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It kept me glued to my 3DS for awhile. It's the sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the DS. It's not necessary to play 999 first but it helps if you do.

Nekros
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Wed 6 Nov 19:53post reply

quote:
Great list of 3DS games. The only game I would add is Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It kept me glued to my 3DS for awhile. It's the sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the DS. It's not necessary to play 999 first but it helps if you do.

But does it have a save bug?

Anyway, excellent list. The only thing I think is lacking is Sonic Generations.
I know is made by Dimps and has nowere the quality of the home version, but has different levels, special stages and bosses and overall is not a bad game. A bit short but well paced, if you overcome some aspects (like the homing attack for classic Sonic) you'll find a decent platformer with some hints at past eras.

PS: absolutely agree with Polly about NSMB series, lacks effort and risks... is like having Super Super Mario Bros 3, SSMB3 Turbo and Hyper Mario Bros 3.

sfried
820th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(9):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handheld" , posted Thu 7 Nov 16:52post reply

Kid Icarus Uprising
This is the game the definitely put the 3DS on the map, but perhaps it will be considered one of Masahiro Sakurai's best work to date. Fun, creative pacing and levels, a unique weapon crafting system, a well balanced and fun multiplayer game mechanic, and just simply put, surprises. This was the game that came out of the blue that nobody expected to be a surprise hit, but unlike The Wonderful 101, at least it had a bit marketing prowess behind it. The controls will take a bit of personalization to get used too (prepare to tweak the sensitivity and the deadzones), but one you overcome that initial hurdle, the game will become a blast to master.

Resident Evil: Revelations
You might have already played the console ports, but multiplay Raid Mode alone can become an additions. Far more robust than Mercenaries, and it actually feels like a separate campaign altogether. One of the meatiest 3DS games out there, and on sale to boot.

Shin Megami Tensei IVEtrian Odyssey IV/Untold: Millenium Girl
Depending on your taste, either one of these dungeon crawlers will keep you busy on end. Wonderful customization, devious layouts, It's a hard game, but never unfair. Plus it has those elements of "fill in the blanks with your head" approach to story.

Fire Emblem Awakening
Great entry into the series. If you want a game with relationship values and awesome strategy gameplay, well, here you have it. If you want to have a game more completly focused on relationship values...well, I suggest Rune Factory 4 instead (although there's more dungeon crawling and farming in here).

sfried
821th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha Handhel" , posted Thu 7 Nov 16:56post reply

Also, might I add the real reason I would highly recommend making Kid Icarus Uprising your first 3DS experience is because it does alot of subtle things to justify the 3D effects. Judging depth adds alot with how you aim the trajectory of your targets, as well as the precision it really gives you in combination with the touch controls (I'm talking purely score wise here). Might I also add that KI:U feels like the most complete package game to come out in a while.

Maese
711th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Thu 7 Nov 17:56post reply

Dear MMCafe, the amount of useful information on this thread is astonishing. You guys are awesome.

Actually, the timing of this thread is just great, because I was pondering about getting a 3DS for X'mas. Never liked portable systems very much, but I guess the games catalog is getting more and more interesting every month, and I am sure I won't be able to resist once I see that "sequel" to Super Famicom's Zelda on the shelves.

However, I am torn about one thing. Which version should I get? The Japanese one, the European, the American...? Because I just assume that there is no way to break the region-lock on the console, right?

The thing is, I live in Japan and I love to just walk to the game store next door and just picking whatever title that tickles my fancy. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer Japanese games over Western ones. But I do as well prefer playing text-heavy games in a language other than Japanese, and most of the games I'm interested on getting actually fall on this category. So I guess it would make more sense to pick the American one and do some online shopping to buy my games... Or maybe Europe would get more interesting exclusives? Would I be able to enjoy online playing, Nintendo's E-shop and that kind of stuff with an American 3DS in a region other than its own? Am I just a lazy bum for not wanting to endure some fancy 3D moonspeak kanji on my train rides? Or I might as well forget the whole thing and stick to my good ol' Super Famicom!

chazumaru
1097th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Thu 7 Nov 18:17post reply

If you live in Japan, I would strongly recommend a Japanese 3DS. There are simply more games, many coming out sooner. StreetPass is a huge reason the 3DS is awesome and you are in the country that makes StreetPass the most fun to use (+ you'd want to share data at teh same time as everyone is playing). Also consider the heavy focus on local multiplayer in Japan might force you to get more social and help you improve your Japanese skills.

Both the Japanese version of Pokemon XY and the Japanese version of Bravely Default For the Sequel (released in early December) include all languages in the Japanese card. You select the language at launch. But don't expect that to become a common thing.

I personally own a Japanese 3DS XL (well, 3DS LL) and a European 3DS.

ギンザ ♪

Pollyanna
3569th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Thu 7 Nov 21:55post reply

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
I'm fond of this one as well, but I hesitated to mention it, partially because I played it on Vita and partially because it comes with a lot of caveats. Like...if you didn't play 999, you should at least read about it and it's hardly a game at all...mostly a visual novel with some scattered puzzles and altogether mediocre presentation. But if you're cool with that, once it grabs you, it doesn't let go.

quote:
Anyway, excellent list. The only thing I think is lacking is Sonic Generations.
I know is made by Dimps and has nowere the quality of the home version, but has different levels, special stages and bosses and overall is not a bad game. A bit short but well paced, if you overcome some aspects (like the homing attack for classic Sonic) you'll find a decent platformer with some hints at past eras.

Huh! Maybe I'll pick this up. I was saddened by the mediocre reviews the WiiU Sonic game got and I am absolutely crazy about Sonic Generations. Maybe the 3DS version will fill the hole in my heart.

(I mean, I don't know that I won't like the WiiU Sonic, but it sounded like every other 3D Sonic excluding Generations, meaning that it had its high points and it has a lot of lows)
quote:

Shin Megami Tensei IVEtrian Odyssey IV/Untold: Millenium Girl
Depending on your taste, either one of these dungeon crawlers will keep you busy on end. Wonderful customization, devious layouts, It's a hard game, but never unfair. Plus it has those elements of "fill in the blanks with your head" approach to story.

SMT4 certainly is a letdown if you want dungeons! The environments were fun to explore, but I mean...really, nothing at all like the other games in the series. However, if you aren't looking for dungeons like crazy, you certainly wouldn't want Etrian Odyssey.

quote:
However, I am torn about one thing. Which version should I get? The Japanese one, the European, the American...? Because I just assume that there is no way to break the region-lock on the console, right?

I second the recommendation for a Japanese system, though I have both and I don't regret that decision. One thing to keep in mind is that you can use a foreign credit card to purchase/DL games from any store. Ah, that sounds confusing. Let me clarify...you can purchase games from the store of the REGION THAT YOU OWN with a credit card that does not match that region. So if you did get a US or European system, you wouldn't have to import (most) games. I buy Japanese games on my Japanese system and US games on my US system with the same credit card.

3DS vs 3DSXL/LL
I'm adding this to the discussion because it's an issue for me. I own both a 3DS and an XL and I prefer the normal 3DS because it displays at its native resolution. Most people would tell you that the XL looks "even better" (somehow) and that there is no loss in graphic fidelity. I am extremely sensitive about this issue and while I don't expect anyone else to be, I wish that someone with my level of sensitivity had told me this all the same. In terms of construction, I feel that there are ups and downs to both systems and while I don't by any means recommend against an XL (which most people prefer), you still might want to take a look at both of them. Normal 3DS systems are cheaper, too.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

karasu99
1241th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(5):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 04:34post reply

quote:
3DS vs 3DSXL/LL
I'm adding this to the discussion because it's an issue for me. I own both a 3DS and an XL and I prefer the normal 3DS because it displays at its native resolution. Most people would tell you that the XL looks "even better" (somehow) and that there is no loss in graphic fidelity. I am extremely sensitive about this issue and while I don't expect anyone else to be, I wish that someone with my level of sensitivity had told me this all the same. In terms of construction, I feel that there are ups and downs to both systems and while I don't by any means recommend against an XL (which most people prefer), you still might want to take a look at both of them. Normal 3DS systems are cheaper, too.

I've just recently had my first opportunity to handle a 3DSXL and I agree with Polly here: the plain old 3DS has quite a bit going for it compared to the XL. I'll just add a few more notes of my own: the XL screen is not very flattering to to DS games played on it, the button and control placement on the XL isn't as comfortable to me (but may be different for everyone), the clamshell of the 3DS is nicer for keeping the system closed, the plastic seems nicer on the 3DS, and so on. However, the XL apparently has better battery life (this is my sole complaint about my vanilla 3DS). From what I've seen (and what I recall from used stores in Japan even), the vanilla 3DS can be found for extremely low prices compared to the newer XL.

In terms of regional issues, the region lock only applies to 3DS games, not DS games, which is nice if you have DS games from all over the place like me. I've got a US 3DS myself, but that's mostly because my Japanese is extremely shaky and so far there have been only a tiny number of games I'd prefer to have in Japanese. Maese, you'd probably be happy with a Japan region 3DS since your fluency in Japanese is excellent.

A few other things:

Liberation Maiden: this can be found in the US store on its own and bundled as part of Guild01 in Japan. An excellent Suda51 developed shooter.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: I've had a soft spot for this game for a while now. It's pretty inventive, is fun if you like exploring, uses (like Chaz says) the 3D very well, and is all around pretty fun. Much bigger than the GameCube game and has a lot of interesting takes on the basic game mechanics from back then.

Kid Icarus: Uprising: The only real thing that kept me from recommending this one is its control scheme, which is flat-out awful, unless you print for the circle pad pro (apparently, I don't own one). It was enough to cramp up my hand and I haven't played it since. It's an inventive, good looking game otherwise.

It's funny-- I've gone from not really caring about the 3DS a year or so ago to playing it almost every day, thanks to such awesome games as Fire Emblem and SM3D Land. I'm glad to see there's so much love for it here at the Cafe!

www.secret-arts.com

Maese
712th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 12:45post reply

quote:
Regional issues

Actually, as soon as I posted my question I realized it was a stupid predicament to begin with... I guess picking up the Japanese version is the logical, natural way to go. But thanks for the tips anyway, everybody! You guys rock. This thread is a good example of why, as long as MMCafe exists in this world, I won't need to rely on or care about any other gaming media to decide what games or systems to purchase.

quote:
I've just recently had my first opportunity to handle a 3DSXL and I agree with Polly here: the plain old 3DS has quite a bit going for it compared to the XL.

Hmmmm, this is an interesting point indeed. The other day I went to the store to do some field research and actually, the vanilla 3DS felt much better to me. Maybe is because I'm used to the good ol' DSLite but, having both on my hands, the XL version seemed less comfortable, kind of unnatural... I can't phrase it very well, but something felt just weird. I thought that something must be wrong with me, since the XL version is supposed to be newer, bigger, and thus, you know, *better*. But still, the basic model seemed all right, while the newer version just didn't. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I might end up picking up the vanilla model after all, and even save some bucks on the process.

Pollyanna
3570th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 17:00post reply

I just played the demo for One Piece: Unlimited World Red and was fairly impressed. Check out the trailer here. The game really does look that good and the character's signature moves are all faithfully represented. It's fairly decent as a beat 'em up, but it seems to offer a huge amount of things to do outside of that.

In particular, I like the parry system. Rather than having a guard button, you have a button flash when you're attacked that can result in a dodge, guard or counter combo, depending on the character and situation.

I'm actually really frustrated that I have too many other games to play right now, as this looks (and plays) really well. I broke down and ordered God Eater 2 and a VitaTV, so I am WAY over the limit for things to do.

quote:
Liberation Maiden: this can be found in the US store on its own and bundled as part of Guild01 in Japan. An excellent Suda51 developed shooter.

This game made me sad, but not because it was bad in any way. It was a novelty, then I started to get into it, then it was over. Then they announced a sequel and it's a visual novel. So they give you just enough game to whet your appetite, then...I don't eve know what. But yes, fun while it lasted. Crimson Shroud is still my most-recommended Guild title at this point.

quote:
Kid Icarus: Uprising: The only real thing that kept me from recommending this one is its control scheme, which is flat-out awful, unless you print for the circle pad pro (apparently, I don't own one). It was enough to cramp up my hand and I haven't played it since. It's an inventive, good looking game otherwise.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the control scheme in that I could not come up with a better solution. It's just...well, I don't want to say "like learning to fly," but mastering the physicality of playing the game is certainly part of the experience. I think I mentioned this before, but I feel like a Wiimote/nunchuck would be an absolutely delightful way to play the game. I would be very excited for a WiiU remake with some new material and richer multiplayer.

Iggy
9679th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 18:51post reply

You people liking the 3DS over the XL are crayyyyzy.
For me, the difference is how nomadic you're going to be with it: if you're mainly going to play in-house, there is no reason to not take the XL. The weight is better balanced, the screens are better, the battery is better, the buttons (especially START and HOME) are better... Also, both consoles are equally bad at displaying DS games. Trust me, I played enough Pokémon Black&White on all versions to assure you that nothing beats a regular DS for that.
As for Kid Icarus, the whole challenge is to find a position to carry the weight of the console you should be carrying with your right hand (I don't like the stand they gave with he game). The best position, for me, is either in bed or a long chair, with the left hand playing while holding the console against the right thigh, and the right hand holding the stylus. Obviously not the easiest thing to do in the metro.
(But the game is amazing, so it deserves the efforts)

Pollyanna
3571th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 19:21post reply

3DS WARS:
quote:

the battery is better

Yes.
quote:
START and HOME are better

Yes.
quote:
the screens are better

The screens are bigger, but depending on your criteria, I would not say that they are better. I do think that the XL is the better choice for most gamers, but wow, does that resolution thing ever bug me.

This is hardly worth mentioning, but the speakers are better on the 3DS as well for all the good that does.

Anyway, not arguing for the 3DS over the XL, just saying "try them both." If someone had to make a blind purchase and they aren't resolution crazy, then I'd recommend the XL. Ergonomics are a tossup in my opinion.

While I (hopefully) have your attention, did you play Gyakuten Saiban 5? I had a kind of "no Takumi, not interested" reaction at first, but I think I could be easily persuaded.

Iggy
9680th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):3DS Recommendations Plus Alpha H" , posted Fri 8 Nov 19:40post reply

I forgot to mention something about the 3DS: I never, EVER play in 3D. So if the 3D is better on the regular console, I have absolutely no way of knowing that. Is it? Is it not? I don't care.

quote:
While I (hopefully) have your attention, did you play Gyakuten Saiban 5? I had a kind of "no Takumi, not interested" reaction at first, but I think I could be easily persuaded.

Chaz is playing it (finished it?) and he has all sorts of positive feelings (and a few negative ones).
As for me, the "no Takushu" part doubles with all the torrents of bilious hate I still have in store for Gyakuten Layton, and I'm not sure I'm ready to start anything Gyakuten-y for at least a couple more months.

Grave
1490th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

"TRUTH TELLIN TIME" , posted Sun 10 Nov 03:15post reply

I just got a 3DS XL because Amazon so kindly agreed to extend their $170 sale to the pink model for me when I asked. Maou summoned me, so here I am! Let's talk about stuff.

OK, so eShop things.
quote:
Pushmo (eShop only)

Yes. Very yes. I still haven't played Crashmo, but Pushmo was the most fun I've had with a new puzzle-type game in a pretty long time. Tons to do, easy to learn, great use of 3D! Also: cute as heck. Doesn't hurt.

For Picross fans, the Picross e series is worth checking out. $6 or so a pop, there's 3 of em now, decent amount of puzzles and each one has a unique set of gimmick puzzles. You can also get Mario's Picross for the original GB on Virtual Console, which I highly recommend as well. I don't remember its control being so lousy on the original GB though, it's odd - it actually drops inputs sometimes. Thought it was my 3DS at first.

Speaking of Virtual Console, there's some neat stuff on there now. Recca showed up! There's not that many Game Gear games but the presentation on the ones that are there puts the GB/GBC stuff to shame. Game speed modes, screen size and border color customization, BUTTON CONFIG ON VIRTUAL CONSOLE (!!), even optional screen blur for a more GG-accurate experience. Really great stuff. If you've never played the GG Shinobi, get to that.

SteamWorld Dig is a fantastic take on the whole "Metroidvania" (ugh) 2D exploration genre. Came out of nowhere for me, couldn't put it down til I finished it. Then I played it again. Good times.

Also, last time I checked Tetris Axis was really cheap on the eShop... I think I paid $10, and it has Bombliss, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm also really happy with the 3DS version of Cave Story, which is probably the ten billionth version of it I've purchased, but if you're gonna play it on the original 3DS model you're gonna need pretty good eyesight. More on that later.

For cart stuff, obviously Pokemon X/Y are real big now, and for good reason- I've picked up a couple of Pokemon releases in the last 6 years or so and immediately dropped 'em every time because nothing felt different to me. Certainly not the case now! The world is bright and charming, the music is nice, and the pokemon are... weird. Really weird. But they look great in 3D! Has some cool online features. Having fun with it, definitely recommend checking it out.

Animal Crossing is, well, Animal Crossing. If you like AC you're gonna love it but I think a lot of people have gotten bored and dropped off... or maybe that's just me.

I know Lords of Shadow isn't too popular among our CV fans here, and I don't blame 'em for that, but I really did enjoy Mirror of Fate. Don't go in expecting Igavania and you might enjoy it too. The demo is an extremely poor representation of what the actual game has to offer and I think that hurt it a lot.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was my best friend when I had a 40+ minute commute by train every morning, but ultimately the lack of online multiplayer unless you own a Wii U hurts it pretty bad. If you have local friends who hunt that isn't a problem but eventually you want more. Hopefully MH4 will be announced for the US soon. Oh, and if people tell you you need the circle pad pro to enjoy this they're lying to you. The touchscreen camera control is adequate for small enemies and if you're not using the target camera on large monsters then you're probably doing everything wrong! Not missing the claw here.

Don't buy Theatrhythm. Not because it isn't a good game- I love it, and if you've ever been an FF fan I think you will too, minus those horrible video stages. But the sequel's coming and if talk that it has every song from the original AND the DLC included, well, uh... yeah, you want that one.

To touch on some stuff other people said...
quote:
One game which I did not include up there and is exclusive to 3DS is Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, which got released early in the 3DS life and received pretty harsh reviews (it's only the usual mercenary mode singled out as its own game) but has actually grown a little community of devoted fans. If you think of it as an arcade/score attack game in the setting of the Resident Evil series...

Yeah! This was another commute buddy for a long time. It's kinda rough around the edges but if you've liked the Mercenaries modes in previous RE releases and you want something good to pick up and play for a few minutes at a time, well, this is it. Would be an ideal thing to scoop up on the eShop so you don't need to change carts every time you want to play.

quote:
Kid Icarus Uprising
This is the game the definitely put the 3DS on the map, but perhaps it will be considered one of Masahiro Sakurai's best work to date. Fun, creative pacing and levels, a unique weapon crafting system, a well balanced and fun multiplayer game mechanic, and just simply put, surprises. This was the game that came out of the blue that nobody expected to be a surprise hit, but unlike The Wonderful 101, at least it had a bit marketing prowess behind it. The controls will take a bit of personalization to get used too (prepare to tweak the sensitivity and the deadzones), but one you overcome that initial hurdle, the game will become a blast to master.

Also yes! The bellyaching about the control scared me off for a while, but when I finally played it I didn't quite understand where it came from- game plays great to me, the multiplayer is awesome too. Seriously one of the most exciting new titles Nintendo's put out in a long time, and the 3D effect is fantastic. I'd consider it a must for all 3DS players.

OK, let's get down to the serious stuff.
quote:
3DS vs 3DSXL/LL

This has been a major point of contention and something I was extremely worried about. I'm a picky bitch about resolution and will whine endlessly about this stuff. When I saw the DSi XL I was revolted. Thankfully with the 3DS XL it's not that bad. With 2D elements you'll absolutely notice, no two ways about it. Whether it'll bother you or not is certainly a case-by-case thing and I agree that you should look at both before you decide on which you want.

For me, it was a no-brainer. I bought my 3DS at launch, loved it, but I always wanted a system with bigger screens, better stylus placement and a better feel in the hands. I have fairly small hands for a dude. I tend to dislike the massive phones that are popular now and I couldn't purchase an original Xbox til the S controller was out, haha. Even still, the 3DS cramped my hands up - especially on games that use the triggers. Getting an extended battery helped improve the grip some, but not enough.

The 3DS XL is much more comfortable for me. The screens are much better than I expected, but Polly's not wrong- there is a difference and for some people it'll be too much to handle. For me the tradeoff is worth it.

Also, if you care about the 3D effect at all, I find it to be somewhat better on XL- probably just the screen size making it seem more dramatic? I don't know.

Something important to take into account as well? Battery life. The original 3DS has shit battery life. If you play with decent screen brightness you're gonna have to charge that thing nightly. MAYBE every two days if you never turn 3D on, but probably not. If I spent the night out it'd die in my bag by the morning. The 3DS XL battery life is much, much better stock- you won't need to charge it quite as aggressively, but it's still not what I want.

If you have an original 3DS I recommend the Nyko PowerPak+ battery without reservation. Days of use on a single charge. Actually improves the feel of the system in the hand. A little bulkier but it still fits fine in the Hori clamshell cases. For the XL... this is a problem. There appears to still only be one extended battery, the Mugen battery... which is $100. The PowerPak+ ranges between $15 and $20. Also the Mugen battery makes the already large 3DS XL look absolutely massive. I think I'll pass.

Thankfully the XL and the regular 3DS use the same charger so all the ones I nicked from the used electronics store I used to work at are good to go!

I think that's everything. No, there's probably more. I'll be back.

badoor
347th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):TRUTH TELLIN TIME" , posted Sun 10 Nov 22:30post reply

Hey a topic about my favorite contemporary system that I definitely spent the most time on this year. Cool. Now some recommendations:

Attack of the Friday Monsters:
Yes it's a game where you just walk around and talk to people and look at things in your hometown for around 4 hours. You might have to fight in the honestly fun card battles. But man is it the most fun walk-around-town-and-hang-out-with-your-buddies game I played since maybe Shenmue. Yes, it might have been improved if there were as much interactivity with the town as Shenmue, but it's stupidly cute and does evoke that nostalgia feeling (even for a life experience I never had, such as being a Japanese kid in a small town in the 1970s). This is all due to the beautiful background art and music in the game. And the silly tokusatsu story is pretty captivating, with its own silly twists & turns.

Oddly enough, some people had trouble at the last card battle fight since they seemingly did not have enough high powered cards, which forced them to "grind" for more cards by fighting more or exploring for more trinkets. I didn't have that problem probably because I've been leisurely exploring and fighting at my own pace and just ended up with enough cards to beat that last fight. So my suggestion is take your time, take the long way round to get to your objectives, and just don't rush the game.

Shinobi 3DS:
Chaz mentioned it but I do want to second the recommendation. It does look like a DS game (maybe because it was at some time?) but it's a really well made action platformer that DOESN'T fall into the "long combos look cool so lets give enemies huge life bars" trap that so many 2.5D action games fall into (like BloodRayne Betrayal). You can do long combos but it only helps with your score and magic bar stuff and most enemies die in 1 to 3 hits. Also, parrying is great.

Sakura Samurai:
I'm not sure if it is qualified as a genre, but I do like non-fighting games that try to focus their battles on 1 vs 1 combat, usually by having a narrow-angled camera and limited movement, games like God Hand or Punch Out that intensifies and heightens fights against only 1 other adversary. "Sakura Samurai is God Hand for babies" might be a slightly hyperbolic way to describe it, but it is certainly one way to do it. And it is a simple game based on doing 1-single mechanic over and over, it's merely a series of punch out battles (read the tells, dodge, than slash. As you progress, enemy tells become harder and quicker, and their damage output is increased). But it's one done so well that it doesn't get boring quick enough, at least not until after you've beaten the main game.

999/VLR:
I suggest playing 999 first. Yes, you do have to replay puzzles each playthrough, but the story does inform VLR I feel. And also, VLR sadly replaces the beautifully animated Kinu Nishimura 2D art in the original 999 with bland & stiff polygonal character models. There's an iOS version of 999 that's out in Japan and should be coming soon worldwide in English that seems to forgo most of the puzzle parts. That might be an optimal way to play it.

Now for some VC/3D Classics:

Kid Icarus 3D Classics:
Sure the Backgrounds look nice and the 3D is great, but most importantly the controls were fixed and what a difference it makes. It's much more playable now and it turns the original into a good game.

Mole Mania:
The best block-pushing, Sokoban-style puzzle game, one that is a much more advanced & complex version of that style of puzzler and one that alleviates many of the genre's frustration, that it's almost unfair for it to be categorized as one. I love how it takes the single-screen puzzle mode and puts them all stringed together in a large world. Yes you usually only work though the game single-screen puzzle by single-screen puzzle, but it's a better way than having them be completely separate "choose your puzzle level" menu selection type. And it's a damn shame Nintendo never made a sequel to it. Great game and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite original game boy games.

Bionic Commando GB:
Basically the NES Bionic Commando with real boss fights, bishi cyberpunk Rad Spencer & Super Joe, and none of those bad top-down encounter stages.

I also finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. It's great, on par with the original trilogy, or at least it's the next best thing after them. I'd talk more but I want to wait on what others on the cafe think of it.

Anyway, there are many more titles that were already mentioned that I agree on but that'll take forever to write. Hope I was of some help.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/