Random Games #40: Bela Lugosi edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (411 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"RANDOM GAMES #40: Bela Lugosi edition" , posted Fri 5 Jul 16:45:post reply

No, seriously, there's a Castlevania clone that released a few months ago with officially licensed likeness of Bela Lugosi.

329 posts is long enough for a random games thread! Time for a new one!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 5 Jul 16:46]

Replies:

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES #40: Bela Lugosi edition" , posted Sun 7 Jul 10:34:post reply

That is wild! I appreciate the reference to the X68000 Chronicle version of the first game's fabulous red-haired Simon.

I also often wonder how much money Konami has cumulatively passed on over the years as hundreds of Metroidvanias make small amounts of money off the series they abandoned. The internet claims $20 million (!!) on Vampire Suvivors alone!

Bonus: holy mackerel, I only just saw that Konami was reduced to collaborating with Vampire Survivors to release Contra DLC for a game ripped from their own abandoned series! They may be the dumbest game-haters of all time, but at least they're getting in on a little bit of their own business at last! I cannot think of a similar precedent, other than maybe Christian Whitehead getting hired by Sega to show them how to make a proper Sonic game (Mania), but even that wasn't after like 6 million sales!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 7 Jul 15:19]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"RANDOM GALS from the arcade" , posted Tue 9 Jul 04:22post reply

This is not going to make anyone younger here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSer7BpwFxw

quote:
The results of the "Top 30 Game Gals as Selected by Players" for the three seasons of "GAL'S ISLAND 1" (1990), "GAL'S ISLAND 2" (1993), and "GAL'S ISLAND 3" (1994) are summarized.
Although the magazine ranks the players based on the number of votes received, since the number of participants varied greatly from year to year, we decided to assign points to the rankings. (30 points for 1st place to 1 point for 30th place).
Rankings are based on the total number of points.

I hide my comment because I think it's a really nice video to watch blind!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The methodology is admittedly faulty, as the creator of the video admits (Nakoruru should be first if you factor her dominance starting in 1994, and the date cutoff means Morrigan and Sakura miss the train) but this is a nice trip through memory lane. I'm especially happy to see Silfie, I greatly enjoyed her cutthroat personality in Project X-Zone. Athena being number 1 in the video feels deserved though, so in the end: everybody wins!

End of Spoiler

"Re(1):RANDOM ANIKIS from the arcade" , posted Tue 9 Jul 17:28post reply

Announcement tweet

Cho Aniki is coming back?!

quote:
Gals Island

That's rather delightful! A referendum of "favorite fighting game girl" before the advent of some of the stalwarts sure feels interesting/amusing/strange/historic/so many other weird feelings!

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):RANDOM ANIKIS from the arcade" , posted Tue 9 Jul 22:30post reply

In some ways the video game industry is a mess. However, I also love that it is also big enough at the moment to support a Bela Lugosi game and Cho Aniki. I was going to ask if Tor Johnson might show up in Belavania, but then I realized he could be in Aniki just as easily.

quote:

Gals Island

What a listing! I'm surprised at how many shopkeeper NPC's made the list. Too often these sorts of characters aren't included in games in order to stick more sub-menus inside of menus but these little bits of world building are really important. Also, the listings that included the current ages of the game gals made me smile wistfully as I continue to crumble into dust.

"Castlevania" , posted Wed 28 Aug 04:28post reply

Castlevania Dominus Collection is out today. It's a day for getting hype about sudden releases of old games.

"Re(1):Castlevania" , posted Wed 28 Aug 09:02post reply

quote:
Castlevania Dominus Collection is out today. It's a day for getting hype about sudden releases of old games.

also truly the most appropriate addition for a Bela Lugosi titled thread

"Re(2):Castlevania" , posted Wed 28 Aug 19:30:post reply

quote:
also truly the most appropriate addition for a Bela Lugosi titled thread

Truly some Wicked (Child) news here! What a bizarre collection of misfits clustered around the legendarily excellent and out of print Stolen Seal/Ecclesia! Just like with the new Capcom collection, my compulsive side is bothered by the inclusion of a great-if-poorly-illustrated sequel (Cross of the Blue Moon/Dawn of...Sorrow?) without the original, but I'm impressed that zombie Komami has sort of attempted to make a playable game out of the much-maligned but attractive sprite-filled arcade game! It's kind of like how the PS1 Chronicles not only gave us gorgeous weird redhead Simon but also an arranged version of the X68000 game that was actualy beatable by most people (note: I beat the OG version anyway, go Maou), though I guess the difference is that X68000 Dracula is still a great game! Still, I expected Dracula's castle to escape from the eclipse before someone actually put some effort into the arcade game!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 28 Aug 19:43]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(3):Castlevania" , posted Wed 28 Aug 20:03post reply

Reporting: Shanoa is still great and I don't feel like I'm missing the touch screen at all. What was it used for in that game? The magnetic flying thing maybe? The weird seal-drawing minigame was in Portrait of Ruin, right?
I like that since the screen is still the size of the DS's, they filled the blank with everthing that could appear on the second screen, so map, character stats and monster drops are all visible all the time. This is everything I ever wanted.

I guess now the next step is finally a port of SOTN/Rondo? Probably the PSP version because that's less work? And once that's done, we'll see how much they want to invest in emulating weird stuff. Will we see Judgement again? Harmony of Despair with rollback netcode?

"Re(4):Castlevania" , posted Fri 30 Aug 01:34post reply

quote:
Reporting: Shanoa is still great and I don't feel like I'm missing the touch screen at all. What was it used for in that game? The magnetic flying thing maybe? The weird seal-drawing minigame was in Portrait of Ruin, right?
I like that since the screen is still the size of the DS's, they filled the blank with everthing that could appear on the second screen, so map, character stats and monster drops are all visible all the time. This is everything I ever wanted.

I guess now the next step is finally a port of SOTN/Rondo? Probably the PSP version because that's less work? And once that's done, we'll see how much they want to invest in emulating weird stuff. Will we see Judgement again? Harmony of Despair with rollback netcode?

I'm glad to hear it's a good collection. Considering Konami's track record with Castlevania as of late I was worried how this would go, especially since the games were built with very particular hardware in mind. Does this mean that there is the flicker of hope for a new Castlevania game? No, of course not. Don't be silly. Still, credit to the folks who managed to sneak this one out the door.

"Re(4):Castlevania" , posted Thu 5 Sep 23:37post reply

quote:

It was in Dawn of Sorrow, and it can stay buried along with the many unnecessary DS/Wii gimmicks that never should've seen the light of day.

quote:
I guess now the next step is finally a port of SOTN/Rondo? Probably the PSP version because that's less work?

I'm banking more on both versions of Rondo and a definitive version of SOTN with playable Maria. Considering how well Dominus is doing, M2 might as well go all out.

quote:
And once that's done, we'll see how much they want to invest in emulating weird stuff. Will we see Judgement again? Harmony of Despair with rollback netcode?

Konami should strike a deal with Nintendo and test the waters with a Castlevania 99. Somehow that still feels like it would be less chaotic than your average round of Vampire Survivors.

"Kenji 2: Collection Boogaloo" , posted Wed 18 Sep 23:53post reply

I know everyone is currently riding the Marvel revival high right now, but I have to give the other Capcom collection that just dropped some much deserved praise also. The remade spritework in the Mitsurugi/Edgeworth collection is phenomenal, and a true testament on how to update old sprites to HD. The run cycle animation on the flight attendant alone puts the absolute embarrassment that was SSF2X HD Remix to shame.

It honestly makes me wish Capcom could go back and do a true HD version of Puzzle Fighter (or a full Darkstalkers remake if they're crazy enough).

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
STM: 29347508
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):Kenji 2: Collection Boogaloo" , posted Thu 19 Sep 15:24:post reply

quote:
I know everyone is currently riding the Marvel revival high right now, but I have to give the other Capcom collection that just dropped some much deserved praise also. The remade spritework in the Mitsurugi/Edgeworth collection is phenomenal, and a true testament on how to update old sprites to HD. The run cycle animation on the flight attendant alone puts the absolute embarrassment that was SSF2X HD Remix to shame.

It honestly makes me wish Capcom could go back and do a true HD version of Puzzle Fighter (or a full Darkstalkers remake if they're crazy enough).

It's quite interesting seeing Capcom making use of Spine in this HD remake. When I saw how crisp the HD animations were in the collection I was very impressed. It reminds me of Vanillaware almost, not exact to their quality but very high effort in a good way.

That said, I don't know if this had something to do with the fact they're using Spine, but it's frustrating how the game freezes. Trying to walk around in Case 1-4 was absolutely atrocious with how much the game stuttered every time you stopped moving. I definitely don't remember this happening in the original games.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 19 Sep 15:30]

Lord SNK
624th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Lunar" , posted Thu 26 Sep 03:09post reply

Lunar Remastered Collection was announced.
It will contains "Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete" and "Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete".
I forgot who is the expert here about Lunar, but I remember he saying that there was a good version (Genesis / Mega CD if I remember correctly?) and a bad version.
I never played these games, will these be the "good" versions?

"Re(1):Lunar" , posted Thu 26 Sep 15:55:post reply

quote:
Lunar Remastered Collection was announced.
It will contains "Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete" and "Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete".
I forgot who is the expert here about Lunar

You called??? Just kidding (probably), we can all be Lunar experts if we open up our hearts.

These are the SS/PS remakes. In a funny set of circumstances, the SS/PS version of Lunar 1 is probably the best though notably different from the Mega CD original because it took cues from the superior Mega CD version of Lunar 2, which was made with much more care than the underbudgeted remake. So ideally you'd play MCD Lunar 2 and then SS Lunar 1 as a prequel (I have actually accomplished this with certain friends/unfortunate victims of my zealotry).

But in the end, it's just a similar question to whether the slightly inferior special editions of Star Wars or the pixel remake of FFVI are tolerable. Sure, they're worse than the originals, but by so little that if you are playing for the first time, you'll never notice and will have a WONDERFUL time.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 26 Sep 16:01]